As we look at Psalm 51 and the story behind it we see the complexity that sin brings into our lives and the massive need for confession and repentance. As we zoom out to the story of scripture and the mirror of our lives we also see:
1. Jesus alone can save from the sickness of sin. Don't be fooled - All other religions and practices merely treat the symptoms of sin, but don't address the sickness. (Psalm 51:1-6)
2. When it comes to restoration, the verbs belongs to God. (Psalm 51:1-2, 7-15) - He does all the heavy lifting.
3. Don't do Jesus' job. You can't (Psalm 51:15-17)
4. The practice of repentance protects and produces. "To CONFESS your sins to God is not to tell God anything God doesn't already know. Until you confess them, however, they are the abyss between you. WHEN YOU CONFESS them, they become the bridge." - Frederick Buechner
5. Community is crucial to repentance. David needed Nathan. We need help. Be in community.